About Bambi

So, I'm Katharine, not Bambi. Bambi is my stripper name. Yes, I know, very origional. This blog is all about my view, on whatever I see. Hope you all enjoy :)


9.26.2010

A Victory Against DADT, Judge Orders Air Force To Reinstate Nurse

U.S. district judge Ronald B. Leighton ruled on Friday that former Air Force Reserve flight nurse, Margaret Witt, be reinstated to her job as soon as possible after being discharged under 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell.'

The judge had called Witt and "exemplary officer" and noted that "good flight nurses were hard to find."

After the ruling, Witt said in a statement:
"I'm thrilled about the decision today. appreciate the Court's belief in the professionalism of the military. Many people forget that the U.S. military is the most diverse workforce in the world — we are extremely versed in adaptation. Thousands of men and women who are gay and lesbian honorably serve this country in our military. Wounded personnel never asked me about my sexual orientation. They were just glad to see me. I can't wait to rejoin my unit."
In his decision, Judge Leighton wrote:
"The application of 'don't ask, don’t tell' to Major Margaret Witt does not significantly further the government’s interest in promoting military readiness, unit morale and cohesion. Her discharge from the Air Force Reserves violated her substantive due process rights under the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution."
This is a huge step in defeating DADT! We hope that many more will realize just how unconstitutional this law really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment